Re: Problem fetching mail from MS Exchange server

Cyrus Patel wrote:

> I have set up fetchmail to get mail from our local MS Exchange server.
> It has been working fine up till now. Now it does not seem to be able to
> fetch my mail anymore.
>
> I am using woody, fetchmail version is "Version: 5.5.3-1".
>
> Here is my log entry:
>
> fetchmail: 5.5.3 querying 10.61.1.12 (protocol POP3) at Tue Jan 16
> 15:42:33 2001
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK Microsoft Exchange POP3 server version 5.5.1960.6
> ready
> fetchmail: POP3> USER cyrusp^M
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK
> fetchmail: POP3> PASS *^M
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK User successfully logged on
> fetchmail: POP3> STAT
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK 5 6897
> fetchmail: 5 messages for cyrusp at 10.61.1.12 (6897 octets).
> fetchmail: POP3> LIST^M
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK
> fetchmail: POP3< 1 991
> fetchmail: POP3< 2 3033
> fetchmail: POP3< 3 817
> fetchmail: POP3< 4 1019
> fetchmail: POP3< 5 1037
> fetchmail: POP3< .
> fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
> fetchmail: POP3< -ERR The requested item could not be found.
> fetchmail: The requested item could not be found.

I had exactly the same problem.  I'm convinced it has nothing to
do with fetchmail, as I could reproduce the bug by telneting into
the POP server and typing the same simple commands.  It's a MS
Exchange problem.  I found two entries about it the MS knowledge
base (Q168245 and Q237961).  One said it was a known problem
(great) and the other said it was solved in service pack 3.

My lab's NT admin must have upgraded Exchange because _that_
problem went away (other remains!).  I got around it by using
`fetchpop' to delete (!) the message Exchange couldn't handle.
fetchmail wasn't able to delete the message.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada