Re: Forcing modem connection to 57600 bps

Quoting Jarkko Niemi (jin@sci.fi):
> After using my dial-up connecton with speed reporting I wanted to force
> my modem up to it's maximum speed.

I think the quick answer to this is: you can't. The modems at each
end of the line negotiate the speed themselves. All you can do is
decide whether to accept their negotiated value, and abort if you
don't approve.

> By the way it's internal ISA modem named
>   SupraExpress 56i SP Intl
>
> So, I went to look modem's AT manual and edited /etc/chatscripts/
> I added AT+MS= part just before number dialing.
> I don't know do I use wrong AT command, or are parameters wrong,
> anyway it calls, but not connect.

No idea. You've got the modem manual. I assume you're setting what
would be set with &N and &U (ceiling and floor connection speeds)
on my modem (USR).

> By commenting that out, everything works like earlier - giving usually
> 48000 or 46667 connects.

Good. Leave it out, unless you want to try later if you get an awful
speed. Those speeds look good.

> # forcing modem speed to maximum (jin)
> OK AT+MS=,0,56000,56000,,,

How can you expect 56K, the *theoretical* maximum.

Cheers,