From: Xucaen [mailto:xucaen@yahoo.com]
Sent: 16 January 2001 14:03
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: what exactly is xdm and xfs??

Hi all..
about 2 weeks ago, I installed debian 2.2r2.
During the package install phase, I checked off
the X packages (simple menu). Along with all the
X packages, xdm and xfs were also installed.
Naturally I assumed that xdm and xfs were
necessary parts of X. However, this weekend
I installed the various XF86 packages
(xserver-vga16, xserver-common, xf86setup, fvwm,
and a few others) using apt-get onto a different
machine. I chose not to install the xdm and xfs.
much to my amazement startx works perfectly.
why does X work without xdm and xfs?

forever curious,
xucaen