Re: Full System Restore with tar: Reminder!

jimd@vega.starshine.org (Jim Dennis) writes:

>  (Note: I just try to do an rmdir as the easiest way to detect
>  a non-empty directory *and* to detect a non-directory node named
>  /proc at the same time.

Modern versions of mount and fsck allow referring to ext2 file systems
by LABEL or GUID (or was it UUID?) in /etc/fstab, so that it doesn't
matter if disks or partitions are added or removed.  When this is done
with the root file system, /proc must be mounted before the root fs is
checked because fsck must scan /proc/partitions.  Because the root fs
is normally read-only at that time, rmdir /proc won't work as a check.

Of course, you could unmount /proc again after checking the root fs,
but that sounds dirty.