Help! with Error 23 (among other things)

I hardly know where to start...

I am running woody, and flirted with linuxconf before getting rid of it,
and in the process tried to eliminate exim from my system because I
couldn't figure out how to configure it properly to send (received just
fine).  All this may be irrelevant, but I mention it because that was
when the problem started.  Instead of fvem, I keep getting twm as a
window manager.  Fvwm-common and esound will not install completely.
Each tries to overwrite a nonexistent file (for esound, it's esdctl,
which is in esound-clients, for fvwm-common, it's keyboard.xpm).  Into
the bargain, I am starting to see the follwing error message:

Error while loading shared libraries: lib.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: Error 23.

I updated the system yesterday (actually, used dselect to try to
straighten things out and check dependencies), and had to reboot three
different times because the whole system locked up.  While going through
dselect, the Error 23 message reappeared a number of times.  Finally got
the system up and running, and couldn't start X.  I then installed
4.0.2, ran xf86config, and am running again, though X can't find the
Speedo fonts and I'm still stuck with twm.

Now Netscape and StarOffice are locking up and losing contact with files
(not a good thing), and the Error 23 message is back.

_Any_ ideas would be most helpful.

TIA

Cam

--