Need Tips/Tricks & Doc locations re: compiling for SMP performance.

I want to see if compiling applications for SMP will help speed up some
applications. I am seeking locations of Docs, How-Tos, mailing lists, &
news groups where this subject is paramount. I am especially interested
in info regarding any special commands for using apt-get with sources
that will yield an SMP compiled product. There seems to be VERY little
in the way of info on the Debian.org site about this. Thanks!
--
We specialize in multi-processor computing systems!
John Foster