Need Tips/Tricks & Doc locations re: compiling for SMP performance.

I want to see if compiling applications for SMP will help speed up some
applications. I am seeking locations of Docs, How-Tos, mailing lists, &
news groups where this subject is paramount. I am especially interested
in info regarding any special commands for using apt-get with sources
that will yield an SMP compiled product. There seems to be VERY little
in the way of info on the Debian.org site about this. Thanks!
We specialize in multi-processor computing systems!
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems