Modules Not Loading

I have several modules in the /etc/modules file that are supposed to be loaded upon boot. I receive an error message for each one saying that can't be loaded. I know they were built and installed. I have checked and they are in the right place. I have tried to load them manually with insmod and depmod, but the modules still can't be found. It's very likely I could be using the wrong syntax, but that doesn't solve the problem of them not being loaded on boot. Can anyone help?

Ben Pharr