Re: Linux 2.4.0 & root fs problem

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 08:36:54PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> I wonder why this is even an option; is there a reason anyone would
> install Linux without ext2 support?
> I have always wondered why the option was given.

In a word: choice.  Before ext2 there was the original ext.  Or was it
called extfs?  I forget.  Soon there will be ext3 and others to choose from.
hhmm... Can ext2 be replaced with, say, romfs for embedded apps?  I'm glad
Linus and the others gave us this flexibility unlike that choice-less
OS <ahem> out there.

             bob
--
bob billson          email: reb@theshed.dhs.org        ham: kc2wz