Re: help: 2.4.0 kernel and /dev/shm

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:47:21AM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Well my workstation says:
>
> shm	/var/shm	shm	defaults	0	0
> ^^^

OK, tried it.  Sort of works.  I am still getting "shmem fs invalid option"
and mount is still complaining.  Once the system boots if I do 'mount', there
is still no mounted /dev/shm.  'cat /proc/filesystems' shows shm is one of the
filesystems the kernel knows about.  If I do 'mount /dev/shm' manually, it
works.  Now I'm puzzled, but getting closer.

I was looking at /etc/init.d/devpts.sh.  In the 2.2.x kernel docs, recommends
adding an appropriate line to /etc/fstab.  However, Debian choose not to and
does it in a boot script instead; not sure why.  I am tempted to hack together
a similar script for shm.

> Don't worry about /var/shm vs /dev/shm - it's just a mountpoint and will
> work fine either way.

Which is apparently what is used to be.  Looks like /dev/shm is the approved
mount point.

> > I created a directory /dev/shm with permissions 755.
>
> It won't matter - the permissions on /dev/shm will be changed to 1777 by
> the kernel.

Which it did when I manually mounted it.

> > Can't believe how much faster the machine boots and runs compared to
> > 2.2.18!!  Nice work Linus and all the other kernel developers!!
>
> Yea, I noticed that too.  I see you haven't tried to push on it yet.

Not yet. :-)  I'll have to try dbench and see how it compares.

> compared to 2.2.x:)  But it seems a bit slow compared to 2.4.0-prerelease.
> Maybe it's just me.

*This* is *slow*?! :-)  I didn't have chance to try the prerelease before
Linus released the real version

             bob
--
bob billson          email: reb@theshed.dhs.org        ham: kc2wz