help: 2.4.0 kernel and /dev/shm

I'm trying out the new 2.4 kernel on my Potato box.  I upgrade modutils to
the version currently in Woody (2.4.1).  Works real nice except for a slight
problem I ran into.  I can't mount the System V IP shared memory on /dev/shm
at bootup.  I get this error message:

shmem fs invalid option
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock or none,
       or too many mounted file systems

I said YES to 'General setup'->'System V IPC' and NO to
'File systems'->'/dev file system support' when running 'make menuconfig'

I added this line to /etc/fstab as the linux-2.4.0/Documentation/Changes says
to:

none	/dev/shm	shm	defaults		0  0

I created a directory /dev/shm with permissions 755.  The 2.4 docs don't say
to, but didn't say not to.  A mistake?

The kernel boots and even though it can't mount this virtual filesystem,
everything else seems to work--so far.  Can't believe how much faster the
machine boots and runs compared to 2.2.18!!  Nice work Linus and all the
other kernel developers!!

Can someone tell me where I went wrong.  I tried searching the 'net for a
clue to no avail.  I'm sure it's something stupidly simple I'm overlooking.
Can anyone point it out?  Thanks for the help.

         bob
--
bob billson          email: reb@theshed.dhs.org        ham: kc2wz
                            bob@goleader.com           Linux geek    /)