Re: Suggestions for an easy-to-setup 10/100 net card?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 10:30:33PM -0200, Rogerio Brito wrote:

> > They are very cheap but reliable for me and according to several
> > benchmarks they are faster than much more expensive 3Coms.
>
> 	Well, I've never seen NIC benchmarks, but I'm actually quite
> 	interested (especially if they are Linux based). Could you
> 	provide some references, please?

Yes, I do have some reference. In it's #16 in 1999 the german
computer-technology magazine "c't" (http://www.heise.de) printed some
benchmarks of 25 different NICs with different OSes.
If you are interested I can mail them privately to you (because they
contain jpegs).

> > Setting it up is really simple. There exists an kernel-module which
> > just has to be loaded (if it was built) and it should work.
>
> 	Yes. BTW, in recent kernels (like 2.2.18) there are actually
> 	two modules for this card. One of them is Donald Becker's
> 	rtl8139 and the other is Geff Garzik's 8139too. I'm only
> 	familiar with Becker's (as it works wonderfully here).

I used the old module till the release of 2.4.0
Both work fine.
Phil