Re: Suggestions for an easy-to-setup 10/100 net card?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:20:18PM -0700, Bryan Carpenter wrote:
| I'm a newbie asking for help as to which network
| card to buy that will "just be seen" by a standard
| Debian 2.2.17 install.  I've tried a Netgear FA312
| and a Linksys LNE100TX rev. 4.1, but neither seems
| to be easy to set up.  I did try getting the "tulip"
| driver from scyld.com, but it seems to require munging
| to compile and use.  I'm willing to spend money to get a

I have the Linksys card and have had no trouble with it at all.

The tulip driver should already be compiled as a module.

# add this line to /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 tulip

Better than putting that in modules.conf, put it in
/etc/modutils/aliases and run update-modules.

I would highly recommend the Linksys card since it has worked so well
for me out-of-the-box and is only $24 US.  (compare to 3Com at ~ $90
US).  It even comes with the driver (tulip.c) on the floppy in the
package.  I didn't have any trouble compiling it -- the first time I
tried I didn't understand modules so I built it statically.  The
standard kernel source dist has tulip.c in it, I simply copied the
newer one from the disk to the source tree and rebuilt.

-D