Re: webcam support for linux?

Howdy!

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:32:38 Andreas Fromm wrote:
> does anybody know about something on using webcams with linux?

My Terracam Pro USB works great with Debian Potato and Linux 2.2.18.

First you need to compile USB modules for the kernel, i. e. usb-uhci or
usb-ohci (the USB controller), usbcore (the core driver), videodev and the
driver for the camera chipset (here ov511). Don't forget to make the
/dev/video character device (mknod /dev/video c 81 0) and set the right
permissions.

Then you need some video software, e. g. xawtv or kwintv. Install the
package or compile it from source, start it and enjoy your face ;-)

For further informations, see http://www.linux-usb.org

BTW: making the Terracam Pro USB work took about half an hour, but what
I've read the Logitech/Connectix cams are quite proprietary and difficult
to get working together with GNU/Linux (correct me if not).

Ciao,
Florian.