Gravis Gamepad Module

I cannot get my gravis gamepad to work. I'm using a Sound Blaster Live and
plugging the gamepad directly into the gameport. I can get the joystick.o module
to load, but, that's it. I tried loading joy-analog.o but no luck (it fails).
Same for the joy-grip.o module (it fails also). I'm running the 2.2.18-pre21
kernel. Help...

Also, anyone have a recommendation for a gamepad with more than 4 buttons? I'd
like compatibility with DOS, Windoze and Linux, but can give up DOS if
necessary. TIA.

Scott