Re: wacky kernel question

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Carel Fellinger wrote:
> > it's because on a teletype you couldn't erase, so backspacing wouldn't
> > help in keeping things readeable:)
>
> Hm, ok, that makes sense. I was thinking in the context of dumb
> terminals; teletypes were slightly before my time.

     Even after the use of CRT terminals became general, that deleting
convention was still used in some cases.  The built in editor with the
version of BASIC included in many CPM and/or Radio Shack machines
required deletions to be done that way, even though it was probably
never used on a true teletype terminal.

     Incidentally, TTY originally meant a teletype.  The first
definition of TTY in the foldoc is:

          1. {teletypewriter}.

Bob
--