Re: wacky kernel question

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:31:04PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> I've been using linux for years and years, but I have never figured this
> odd little corner out. Perhaps someone here will know.
>
> If you type when the kernel is booting up, it echos to the screen.
> That's normal for linux of course. The interesting behavior that
> puzzles me is that if you hit the backspace key, it pops the letter that
> it is backspacing over off of the stack, and prints it. Some / and \
> characters are printed too around what you typed.

This brings back sweet memories from when linux was unix and screens
where teletypes:)  IIRC it comes down to the kernel not knowing what
type your terminal is and hence treating it as a real teletype, you
know those hardcopy devices.

> So, if I type:
>
> Joey he_
>
> Then backspace back two spaces, I see:
>
> Joey he\eh/_

yep, this is how it looked (IIRC:)

> Anyone know why this happens? It's a very interesting way to handle

it's because on a teletype you couldn't erase, so backspacing wouldn't
help in keeping things readeable:)

But this is all from memory, and my memory is rusty and time has
brought tiny holes, mostly colliding, so there might be huge holes.

--
groetjes, carel