Re: GeForce2 MX, drivers, X4...

I took the binary (tgz) distribution from the XFree86 website and installed it
over my existing X 3.3.x.  It worked without problem.  Didn't have to install anything
from NVidia (according to the readme on the NVidia website, support for the Geforece2 MX
is included in the newest 4.whatever release).  I do realise however that I will be
in trouble when I want to upgrade Debian, but I'll see about that when it happens :-)
I definitely did not have to recompile my kernel (altough it might be necessary for the
more advanced features?)

Nico

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:52:31PM -0500, Jonathan Markevich wrote:
> Well, the price was right and I grabbed a GeForce2 MX card... now I have no
> X.  I understood X 3.3.x support was nil, so started an X4 upgrade...!
>
> Now, I'm not sure how to proceed, I'm still downloading one packages,
> (xserver-xfree86), but if I understand correctly, I need to compile the
> kernel module and stuff.  Has anyone done this?
>
> I try to compile the latest module (0.9-5) and get...
>
> cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done
> cc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': No such file or directory
> make: *** [nv.o] Error 1
>
> ?  I don't understand the error.  What just happened?  Do I really need to
> do this?  This is quite different...
>
> --
> Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com>
> http://www.geocities.com/jmarkevich
> == It's VIRUSES, not VIRII!  See http://language.perl.com/misc/virus.html ==
>
> Concerning the war in Vietnam, Senator George Aiken of Vermont noted
> in January, 1966, "I'm not very keen for doves or hawks.  I think we need
> more owls."
> 		-- Bill Adler, "The Washington Wits"
>

> --
 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com