Re: Voodoo 3

On 9 Jan 2001, Willy Lee wrote:

> "Peter" == Peter Gruber <peter.gruber@stud.uni-regensburg.de> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, David Steinberg wrote:
> >> But I'm completely lost as to what to do to get it to work...
> >>
> >> If I try to run /usr/bin/test3Dfx, I get: gd error (glide): Can't
> >> find or access Banshee/V3 board gd error (glide): grSstSelect:
> >> non-existent SSTSegmentation fault
> >>
> >> In the description for libglide2-v3, it says "You'll need the
> >> /dev/3dfx kernel driver to use this library."  I have no clue what
> >> to do about this; where would I get the this kernel driver?
>
> apt-get device3dfx-source
>
> cd into /usr/src/modules/device3dfx, run 'debian/buildpkg', install
> the deb it creates in /usr/src, add yourself to the video group.
>
> That should work, I think that's everything that I did... may have
> forgot something however.

I have the /dev/3dfx node and I have the 3dfx module (it get loaded
everytime I start test3dfx ) and I have the right permissions!

The problem is: If I start test3dfx in a xterm from X ist works.
If I start it from the console it doesn't.

If I start quake from X it works it just ignores keypresses unless I
switch to console 4 (eithet chvt 4 or strg-alt-4) and if I do so the
colors get bad and after quitting the display is unusable!

thanks for your help !

ciao