Odd Restart

I have just installed Debian 2.2r2 on my desktop and I other than configuring LILO and installing the 2.4.0 kernel on it I have done nothing. It boots up just fine, but if I let it sit there after booting up it will restart, not reboot, itself. It causes fs corruption and when it gets to the fsck on its way back up it completes the fsck and restarts again. I have to go in with tomsrtbt ( a mini distro ) and run e2fsck on it. What is causing this initial restart ( no messages, just a blank screen and then the BIOS ), and why isn't the fsck in the startup files taking care of it? Thanks in advance!

Ben Pharr
benpharr@freedom2000net.com