Re: X Window Manager

cdryburgh wrote:

> 1. Have limited memory resources so must not use much.
> 2. Have small monitor 14". Must allow for maximum screen viewing.
> 3. I am a programmer so will probably be doing GUI's and CORBA related
> stuff at some point.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for Blackbox 0.61.x, packaged in Woody
and Sid.  Using a flat color style (such as the included `minimalist'
style), you'd be hard-pressed to find a wm with lower resource
consumption.  It's as fast as twm with a LOT more functionality, such as
multiple pages, Debian Menu support, window shading, iconification,
support for WindowMaker dockapps, and menu-based configuration.  Beware
that the blackbox package in Potato is 0.51.x, and is not as well
supported anymore; building 0.61.1 is as easy as adding a testing
deb-src line to /etc/apt/sources.list and calling `apt-get source -b
blackbox'.

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C