Re: dirt-level networking

tom wrote:

> one box has an isa card, the other a pci, but they're both
> ne2000 compatable (pnp, unfortunately).
>
> Once I get the two connected, I'm gonna move my modem to the
> 486. Am I gonna have to jump thru too many hoops to switch to a
> dsl modem later? (I'll have to add another nic??)

Coyote Linux (http://www.coyotelinux.com/).  It's a commercial product
for the Windows-admin-able version, but the all-Linux version is free.
You download a tarball, run a shell script, answer 5-15 questions
(depending on the NICs in the firewall and method of connection to the
Internet), and insert a DOS floppy disk.  BANG!  An Internet router and
firewall, no pain killers necessary.  Said 486 only needs a NIC, an
additional NIC or modem, processor, RAM, and floppy; no hard drive or
CD-ROM.

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C