Re: dazed and confused - pop3 port

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:32:54PM +1100, Matt Chipman wrote:
> i added
> pop3            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/tcpd  ipop3d
>
> thinking along the lines of the redhat box, ......but she no work :(  The
> port is now open (i can telnet to it ) but exim doesnt reply.

it's not exim's task to look after pop, so you'll have to install a
pop daemon. No need to add that line yourself, installing a pop daemon
should do it for you. Just pick one of:

    $ apt-cache search pop3
    cyrus-common - Cyrus mail system (common files)
    ipopd - POP2 and POP3 servers from UW
    cyrus-pop3d - Cyrus mail system (POP3 support)
    qpopper - Enhanced Post Office Protocol server (POP3).
    cucipop - Cubic Circle's POP3 daemon

> anyway if someone could explain to me why debian doesnt have this port in
> the inetd.conf file (there must be a valid reason) and why i should or
> should not use Qpopper or like product, because clearly i don't understand
> the correlation between exim, pop3 and qpopper and i would like to! :-)

The pop3 packet you install will add the appropriate line in
inetd.conf.  Exim is there just to transport mail from one system to
an other (possibly the same), as a bonus it is capable of stuffing
mail locally in /var/mail, but normally one would use procmail for
that part. Pop3 is just the name of a protocol used to get to your
var/mail mailboxes even if you're on a diferent machine. Qpopper (and
others, see above) implement the pop3 protocol.

--
groetjes, carel