dazed and confused - pop3 port

Hello list

currently i have a nice setup of debian  potatoe and trying to add exim as a
mail server.  I want to check my mail with outlook express/pegasus/whatever
via the pop3 port from the windows boxes

Initially i had this setup under Red hat and sendmail (before i saw the
light and was converted)

Under redhat inetd.conf are the lines:
smtp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sendmail etc etc
pop-3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd/pop3d

Under debian i have :
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

i added
pop3            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/tcpd  ipop3d

thinking along the lines of the redhat box, ......but she no work :(  The
port is now open (i can telnet to it ) but exim doesnt reply.

my question is ...
how do i activate the pop3 port so i can check my email like i used to do on
the redhat box?  I know of Qpopper but i (mistakenly?) dont think i need it.

anyway if someone could explain to me why debian doesnt have this port in
the inetd.conf file (there must be a valid reason) and why i should or
should not use Qpopper or like product, because clearly i don't understand
the correlation between exim, pop3 and qpopper and i would like to! :-)

thanks

Matt