Re: Command line search and replace

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 12:56:45AM +0800, I wrote:
> Is there a tool to do a search-and-replace from the command line?
> Something along the lines of:
>
> replace "string one" "string foo" files-to-process

sed is it! Thanks to John <john@dhh.gt.org>, Michal
<frankie@tristvrte.sk>, und eechi von akusyumi
<vinauser@netvigator.com> for the replies. Now my problem is how to
make sed recurse through directories. I managed to chain commands
together as:

for i in *.txt ; do mv $i $i.tmp ; sed s/foo/boo/g $i.tmp > $i ; done

Can anybody comment on this little script? This appears to work, but
may be inefficient. And it's one step removed from what I want,
recursive processing. That is, to have sed process files in
subdirectories of the current directory. I prefer something that can
receive its input from find:

find . -name *.txt

--
Just testing this signature thing!