Re: Help: Gnome and sound

On 01/08, Berthold Cogel wrote:
> Hello!
>
> After updating to the current Gnome version in Debian/unstable I have a
> problem with /dev/dsp:
>
> Test: wavp/mpg123 playing wave/mp3 files
>
> Sound works well from the console. It even works from an xsession (gdm
> stopped)
> After starting gdm and within an gnome session I'm unable to use
> /dev/dsp. wavp tells me that it could'nt initialize dsp and mpg123 gives
> the message that open_oss() couldn't open /dev/dsp. When I swith over to
> console both programs are able to play the desired files.
> I know that this is a problem with some permissions, but I don't know
> what has been changed since the last version. Any hints?

I don't know what version of Gnome you're updating from, but at some
point in the past few months, sound handling with respect to Gnome and
Esound has changed.  Gnome is using esound as its sound daemon now.
When esound is running, /dev/dsp is unavailable.  Most sound
applications such as mpg123 have esound enabled versions now.  (mpg123's
is the mpg123-esd package.)  Some other /dev/dsp-using applications can
be made to work by using the "esddsp" program that comes with esound.

I have switched to using esound at the console and in X, and it works
pretty well for me.

The esound web page is http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html

--
Cory T. Echols