copy/paste problems in X -- locale?

I've been having problems with copy/paste under X (3.3.6) in Woody.  I
can copy and paste within a single X window (rxvt, Netscape session,
etc.) with no problem.  However, when copying and pasting between
windows, the past turns to garblish, and occasionally kills either the
target or the *source* window.

I can't offer much in the way of diagnostics, am rather confused by
this.  Is this possibly a problem with my locale?  I'd changed LC_CTYPE
to "en_US.ISO-8859-1" recently in order to get extended characters to
render under Mutt and tin, however, this appears to be causing problems
(I *do* get other error messages regarding it).  Someone got a better
locale setting option?