Re: Trouble Setting Up DSL

Hello,

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Jason Dawe wrote:

> Hello I have a DSL modem with a SMC EtherPower II Ethernet card. Before
> installing Debian I used the Windows 'winipcfg' utility to find out my IP
> address, DNS servers, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask and DHCP Server.

I do not know what that program does, but I know that some telephone
companies upload the modem with their own values. To figure out what they
are, I suggest you make sure you can ping your modem, then telnet to it.
Search through the options until you find something like:
pc1
pc2
pc3
pc4

At least, that is what our Dutch company did. Originally it used to be:
RELAY_PPP1 - RELAY_PPP4
so see if you can find something similar.

I do not know for sure and I do not have a DSL modem, but I set up one.
I downloaded pptp and patched it so pptp looks for the pc1 channel.
You have to change 'pc1' in the patch with the value of you modem.

You can find it all here:
http://dl.xs4all.nl/adsl/ADSL-HOWTO_Linux.html

It is Dutch, but I am sure you can follow the red line.

Succes,
Sebastiaan