Re: DSL vs. cable and LAN options

D-Man wrote:

> I will be moving shortly and will no longer have my T1 connection :-(.
> I am considering getting DSL or a cable modem, but wanted to check
> with the Debian gurus first.  Assuming both services are available,
> how well do they interroperate with Debian?  What are people's
> opinions/experiences with them?

out here(near seattle, WA) DSL is pretty easy to use with linux.
qwest is a big isp for the area(GTE is another, haven't tried them)
but qwest uses a cisco 675(external) modem. just plug it in
and turn it on.. my isp oz.net gave me 8 static ips with no
monthly fee and as far as my computers are concerned they are
connected to the net via ethernet.

> Also,  I want to set up IP masq'ing with an old i486 running Windows
> 95.  What would be the suggested mechanism for connecting the two
> machines?  Would ethernet be the easiest/cheapest way?  PLIP probably
> isn't an option since it would interfere with printers on both sides
> and other devices on the 486 side.  Is SLIP reasonably fast?  If so,
> how do I configure the serial port properly?  I tried setserial once
> but couldn't get the printer to work with it.

i would stick to ethernet, although running a 486 for anything
gives me the chills :) my gateway is a k6-3 400 256MB. course
it does a lot more then just gateway..email serving, nfs,
game server, irc client box, ftp server web server etc...

depending on the isp will depend on you options, qwest for example
by default ships the modems in PPP mode with both NAT and DHCP
on so you don't have to worry about an ipmasq machine. i suggest
emailing potential isps and find out what they use.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336