Re: Permissions

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 05:03:35AM +0530, Sunil Thomas Thonikuzhiyil wrote:

> Hello
>
>  My ls -l listing shows lines like this
> drwx--S---    5 sunil    sunil        4096 Dec 13 09:21 Desktop/
> drwxr-sr-x    5 sunil    sunil        4096 Aug 24 07:28 GNUstep/
>  I know s bit is suid on files and x permission on directory allows you
> to traverse it . But what does s and S  mean on directories also what
> is the difference between S and s

s means the execute bit is also set, S means its not.  so if you
remove the s bits from those directorys you get:

drwx------    5 sunil    sunil        4096 Dec 13 09:21 Desktop/
drwxr-xr-x    5 sunil    sunil        4096 Aug 24 07:28 GNUstep/

see?  its done that way since the s is in the same position as an x
bit so otherwise you could not tell if the file is user|group
executable if it was s[ug]id.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/