Re: runlevels and XF86Setup??

--- "Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 07:57:57PM -0800,
> Xucaen wrote:
> >
> > --- "Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
> S99xdm
> > > from
> > >
> > > Aargh! Don't do that.  Just remove the
> symlink
> > > S99xdm and XDM will not
> > > be run at boot for the given runlevel.  As
> long
> > > as you leave one symlink
> > > in one of the rc?.d dirs, upgrades of xdm
> will
> > > never modify these
> > > settings.
> > >

> > Are you saying that pointing S99xdm to
> /dev/null
> > caused XF86Setup to hang the system?
>
> Doesn't seem likely, but the semantics of
> symlinking an rc?.d entry to
> /dev/null seems wrong.  If XF86Setup is
> buggered on your system,
> xf86config and xvidtune should be suffiecient
> to get X 3 up and running.

thanks for replying! I see your point that
pointing an rc?.d entry to /dev/null probably
isn't a good idea.
XF86Setup only failed after I changed the
symlink. Otherwise, XF86Setup works fine. I was
wondering how else can I stop X from loading
automatically without losing the ability to run
XF86Setup?
Also, has anyone else every run into this kind of
problem?

thanks!!!

xucaen