sbpcd mount fails during install

I'm having trouble installing Debian 2.2_11 on a 486
with a SoundBlaster 16 Value card driving a CR-563-B
CD-ROM drive.  I use "sbpcd=0x220,1" for the command
line parameter (the address is 220 when configured
under DOS and works correctly there).  Installation of
the sbpcd driver is successful, but when I try to use
the cd-rom to do the base system installation, the
mount fails.  Help, what am I doing wrong?

Hugh Martin