Re: Outdated packages in unstable: what to do?

dobler <doblerman@free.fr> wrote:
>I was wondering why there are some small packages that are not upgraded even
>when a new release that fixes some bugs and doesn't bring any new
>incompatibilities is out?
>
>I was thinking of xqf, qstat or mozilla for instance
>
>On the other hand, some very important packages that are likely to break some
>stuff are updated very often (like glibc 2.2, perl-5.6, XFree 4.0.x

Would you prefer the important packages to be maintained by inactive
people who never fix the enormous numbers of bugs against them? :)

File a bug asking for the new version, if nobody else has done so
already, and perhaps also mail the bug tracking system entries for the
bugs that are fixed in this version to say that they're fixed, again if
nobody else has done so already. Then be patient. If there's no response
within three months, and if the maintainer seems otherwise inactive (to
judge by mailing lists and the bug tracking system), mail
debian-devel@lists.debian.org and ask if anyone can do a non-maintainer
upload or adopt the package.

Don't be too impatient. Maintainers have to have lives too, and
especially over the Christmas / general winter holidays period there may
be some delays. Packaging a new upstream version can sometimes involve a
good deal of rearrangement.