Re: lilo.conf

On Saturday 06 January 2001 14:09, David B.Harris wrote:
> To quote Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>,
> # I am working on the Debian package of lilo and am writing code for
> # auto-generating lilo.conf files.
> #
> # Below is an example of the type of lilo.conf that can be generated.
> The
> # debconf asks whether you want boot or boot-menu as the boot loader, it
> asks
> # what VGA mode you want, what parameters to append, and what DOS
> partitions to
> # setup with the "other=" settings.  The rest is inferred from the
> running
> # system.
> #
> # If your lilo.conf has things that aren't in this which you think
> should be in
> # debconf then please do an anonymous ftp to ivanova.coker.com.au and
> upload it
> # to the incoming directory.  I'll try and make the next version do what
> you
> # require.
>
> Doesn't look to shabby :) I'm assuming that the paths to drives and
> partitions are gleaned from current system settings, right? :)

It scans /etc/fstab for the root file system (NB it does not look at what's
currently mounted).  This is easier to implement and also works in some of
the stranger ways of running things (like a chroot environment).  Then it
deduces the place for the MBR from this (taking into account software RAID
and devfs disk naming).

The image lines are /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old because that's what
kernel-package generates.

> Anyways, I have 'lba32' in my main lilo.conf section. For more recent
> LILOs(anything after 21.6, I think - though I could be off), it'll allow
> for booting kernel images past the 8.4G(1024th cylinder) mark.

I'll add that next.