Re: X window too big

thanks, this helped some, but hasn't resolved the whole problem :

In a message dated 1/4/2001 10:22:57 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
squadboy@mail.sisna.com writes:

<< >From a xterm run xwininfo and click on the main window, this will give
 you the resolution that it is running at.
Try ctrl-alt-numpad- till you get to the resolution that you want to be at.
Odds are it will still
 look bad not to worry.

~~~~WHAT IS THIS 'NUMPAD"

 From the xterm run xvidtune click OK on the scary
 message. Click on show and make a note of the modline it returns. Now
 use a combo of the vidtune controls and your monitors onscreen contorls
 to get it to look like you want it to no rolling flickering and that
 kind of stuff. Click on show again and it should give you a different
 modline. Now in your sf86config file find the modline that matches
 the first one and replace it with the second one. That should take care
 of it.

        IN THE MONITOR SECTION OF THE XCONFIG FILE THERE ARE
TOO MANY MODE LINES.  I CHANGED ONLY THE MODE LINES OF THE
SCREEN SECTION TO 640x480  THIS DID FIT IN THE MAIN WINDOW IN THE
MONITOR. BUT AFTER THAT ANY OTHER WINDOW I OPEN, HAS THE SAME
SIZE AS BEFORE. FOR EG, WHEN I OPEN gmc, THAT WINDOW IS
647x360

        Is there a way to take care of all the windows ?
 thanks.