Re: AGH! Hard disc faults!

on Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 09:56:43PM +0000, Matthew Sackman (matthew@sackman.co.uk) wrote:
> Please help someone, and quickly!!
>
> I have found that on my root drive (which is /dev/hdb4), I have a read
> fault on block 131077. This is disrupting the boot sequence, and
> putting a whole load of file system errors on other file systems.
>
> I have run through with fsck and it reports a :
>
> Error reading block 131077 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
> resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.
>
> The boot up gets fairly screwed as it is having major problems in
> reading from the root file system. Fsck it seems can not fix it, and
> none of my linux books talk of any other disk repair utilities. Does
> anyone know what I should do?

If you don't have comprehensive system backups, this is the time time to
make them.

I'd try running a (nondestructive) badblocks test on the partition --
you'll likely have to boot another device, possible a floppy distro of
GNU/Linux.

I tend to suspect bad hardware and toss it when I start getting disk
errors.  You might try repairing the issue, but if it returns, your time
and data are more valuable than the disk.