Re: X window too big

On  4 Jan, Hall Stevenson wrote:
>>  In the default screen I got after installing debian2.2r2,
>> the screen is huge. Actually it is just four times the
>> size of my monitor screen and I have to move around
>> the whole X screen using the mouse. So
>> when I open a new window, I have to look around the
>> other 3/4 of the screen to see where it opened.
>> Any idea why this happened and how to rectify.
>
> Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config (possibly XF86Config-4) file. In the
> 'Section "Screen"' part, look for a line starting with "virtual" and put
> a "#" in front of it. If your screen is really 4x bigger, the numbers
> following "virtual" will be 4x the resolution that's noted in a line
> above or below.
>
> Good luck
> Hall

     If there is no "Virtual" line, the default is the same size as
the largest mode listed, which may not be the mode which X starts in.
If this is the case you can change the order of the modes in XF86Config
to start in the largest mode or add a "Virtual" line to match the mode
which you prefer.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                                           |
|   Research Scientist                                                 |
|   NYS Dept. of Health                           judd@wadsworth.org   |
|   Wadsworth Center - ESP                                             |
|   P. O. Box 509                                    518 486-7829      |
|   Albany, NY 12201-0509                                              |