ALSA with AWE64: help

Hi,

I've had sound and MIDI working great on my box for the longest time with just
the plain, non-alsa sound stuff (the OSS drivers?), and then I installed a
package which also required the alsa-base package.  Since then I haven't been
able to use MIDI, and I suspect the digital audio I get is still using the old
drivers, and ALSA is simply busted on my box.

So are there any docs somewhere on how to properly install a complete ALSA
setup?

BTW, I have a AWE64 value sound card (which, again, worked completely prior to
alsa-base).

I think ALSA is busted here because I get stuff like this on bootup:

  AWE32: not detected
  Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
  SB 4.16 detected OK (220)

or when I finish running alsaconf:

  Starting ALSA sound driver (version none): no driver installed.
  Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
  The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
  Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
  not detected correctly.

I suspect that I might need to install alsadriver (which is one of the
alsa-modules-* debs), but then I can't use the kernel I built myself (which
does have AWE and sound support, as it works without ALSA), or rather I'm
weary of having apt-get mess around with my kernel bits.

--
Maciej Kalisiak		mac@dgp.toronto.edu	www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac