Re: Internet for normal users & /usr/local

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 12:39:35AM -0200, Hammurabi Mendes wrote:
> I am doing some configuration now, and installing new programs, but I
> would like not to desorganize the system or compromise the system
> security, and I have 2 questions:
>
> Is /usr/local the right place to put executables that are not controlled
> by packages?

yes, /usr/local is your playground to do with whatever you want.  the
packaging system is forbidden to touch it other then creating empty
directories for your convenience (but will not fail if they can't for
whatever reason)

> If some user is supposed to access internet, is secure add the user on
> the "dip" group? (Or, was this group specially created for this
> purpose?)

group dip is for users who should be allowed to bring up the PPP
internet connection yes.  it is safe to add users to this group.  all
they will be able to do is run `pon' to bring up the connection and
`poff' to bring it down.  (if they were the one to bring it up)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/