Re: Imac CD install problem

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 06:37:57PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> You may want to subscribe to the debian-powerpc (or is it debian-ppc?)
> mailing list and ask questions there.  You're much more likely to hit
> someone who's knowledgeable about the iMac platform there.

yes indeed, though his problem looks to be a generic install issue
rather then a archetecture specific one.

> I've been (very very slowly) gathering some information about how to
> load Debian on my new iMac DV SE, and have run across a number of issues
> that the folks there have been very helpful in trying to track down.
> Linux on the PPC platform is a whole new ballgame for me, but it's fun.

its certainly rather different, i have some info on the boot setup on
my page (see my .sig)  www.penguinppc.org is also a good place for
distro neutral information.

> If you want "seamless" or relatively easy Linux installations on PPC,
> the recent reviews of the LinuxPPC distribution have been encouraging.

don't believe them.  LinuxPPC is the most broken GNU/Linux
distribution ever made, and frankly its an embarrassment to the entire
movement.  sorry but i have spent too much time on irc helping people
fix rediculous problems you should (and never do) see in any other
distro.

> Personally, I will probably continue fighting through trying to get
> Debian installed.

do so, its WELL worth the effort.

> I haven't really gotten very excited about OSX yet, but I do spend some
> time in that strange environment these days messing around with it and
> seeing what I can break on purpose.  I don't think I can stomach their
> licensing and strange way they're doing devel on Darwin at Apple and
> keeping some of it closed-source, and some open-source.  Very odd.

OSX is an odd beast, die hard mac users will hate it because it has
unix underneath and its not totally hidden (and won't be, i don't
think) *nix users will hate it because the *nix layer is limited and
broken.  people who only know a dabble of *nix and pretty much do
everything in windows or macos without any religious attachments to
either paradigm will probably like OSX alot, it has just enough *nix
for occasional handy uses and the GUI is about even with
Windows/GNOME/KDE.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/