Re: X in startup

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:23:30AM -0800, Xucaen wrote:

> does this disable X? what if you still want to run X from the
> command line using startx?
> <DTurner@emis-support.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > after booting up press <ctrl><alt> F1 to go into a console
> > terminal.  logon as root.  cd /etc/rc2.d rm S??xdm  # or just
> > move it, if you dont want to delete it....  shutdown -r now
> > worked for me this morning, anyway.

Hi,

What I have been doing to stop /etc/init.d/ scripts (like xdm)
from being executed at bootup is to put the line
	exit 0
at the top of the file (as the first uncommented line). This
makes the script neatly exit without doing anything.

Cheers,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@mri.ernet.in> | Instead of loving your enemies,
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | treat your friends