LILO 0x40 ERROR when trying to multiboot freebsd and linux

I have an older American Megatrends 1994 rev BIOS and I recently
put in an IBM IDE 20Gig drive as my master drive....I haven't
done anything to reconfigure my BIOS since it is old and DOES
work with just linux kernels (I have some newer equipment on
which the settings below work flawlessly)

I have the entry
-------------lilo.conf----------------

lba32

boot=/dev/hda

install=/boot/boot.b

map=/boot/map

delay=20

vga=normal

<linux image stuff>

other=/dev/hda2
        table=/dev/hda
        label=freebsd

where /dev/hda2 is the bsd parition created by the install...

this kind of setup seems to work on newer equipment. Reading
the docs on lilo says this is a BIOS error suggesting media
problems...

Is there some special incantations that I have to feed lilo
specially if it has problems communicating with the BIOS...

NOTE: I can run linux with NO difficulty. I just can't get freebsd
to boot...maybe someone is trying to tell me something ;-)

-walter