Re: unable to su

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 09:43:17AM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did a fresh install on my system (potato), but I discovered that I am
> unable to su (unless I am root). It gives me an authentication failure.
> When I do shadowconfig off, su returns 'setgid: Operation not permitted'.
> I think my passwordhandling is messed up.
> How can I make this work again?

sounds like su lost its suid bit:

[eb@socrates eb]$ ls -l /bin/su
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        24336 May 26  2000 /bin/su
  ^^^

if that is an x instead of an s or the file is not owned by root root
you need to run:

chown root.root /bin/su
chmod 4755 /bin/su

if it is suid root then something else is broken but i don't have any
guesses without a bit more info.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/