Box refusing connections after changing to static IP?

Hello debian-user,

I have a box I've set up at work as a CVS server, to accept CVS and
SSH connections, mostly from Windows boxes on an internal network.
Well, I installed Debian 2.2 stable on it and set it up to use DHCP to
get it's IP, got CVS and SSH working, everything was fine.

However, I was told to change it to use a static IP.  I mucked with
/etc/network/interfaces to use a static IP, may have done some other
tweaking of mostly unrelated stuff, and then I noticed that, whereas
before I could have a SSH session open from my Windows machine (putty)
all day, now I get periodically kicked off ("connection has been reset
by peer"-type messages), or it takes several tries to get a
connection.  And our CVS access also has the same kind of problem
("connection refused by host" -type messages), have to try repeatedly
for over a minute sometimes.  This is very annoying, to say the least.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what may be the
problem and how I can find out, I'd appreciate it.  I've had a look at
the logs but am not sure what I'm looking for.  I don't really have a
lot of experience with this kind of thing, but unfortunately I don't
have anyone at work who knows any better.

Unfortunately I don't have access to this machine right now, I'll be
able to give better info on messages and logs tomorrow perhaps.

Oh, I almost forgot.  I just installed Debian on another machine, and
so far I have not had any problems with SSH or CVS refusing my
connection.  It may be only the Windows machines having problems?

tia,
=wl
--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of