Re: vim's syntax highlighting + typedefs from #include <foo.h>

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 08:38:58PM -0600, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> As another poster mentioned, it's probably quite easy to add new types to
> vim's syntax lists, but that's not quite what you wanted.

Ok, thanks to Rob's sugestion I can temporarily add these other
typedef's into the syntax files.

> The behavior you describe is, I think, the Right Thing.  However, it
> requires a full C/C++ parser, which is very complex---C and especially C++
> aren't context-free.  I'm an emacs user myself, so I can't speak as to vi's
> implementation, but I suspect that it uses regexps and string matching,
> rather than a full parser to do syntax highlighting, just like emacs.  If
> that is in fact the case, then no, there's no way to do it.  (Short of
> implementing a full C++ parser, of course.)

I thought that vim included ctags in it's distribution which is actually
a full blown c/c++/perl/eifell/... parser. This is why I thought that I
had mis-set some setting.

Also, I just noticed on www.vim.org that version 6 is actually
removing the inbuilt ctags, (presumably we can use ctags-exuberent or
other). I seem to be getting a bad connection to vim.org, so I will try
it out when this improves.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Mark.