Re: init scripts

In article <[🔎] 20010101152228.A16745@claire.namodn.com>,
Rob  <robert@namodn.com> wrote:
>Occasionally I install a Debian package that I
>do not want to start everytime I boot. In this
>situation, I usually use update-rc.d and either
>stick the init script into a specific runlevel
>or just remove it from all runlevels.
>
>This works fine, however, when I do an upgrade,
>any packages that are upgraded will put the
>symlinks back and I will have to remember to
>use update-rc.d on each package that was upgraded.

If you remove _all_ symlinks, they will be put back on the next
upgrade. If you leave at least one symlink around the system
will notice that you hand-editted the config and won't touch it.
The manual page of `update-rc.d' actually describes this..

Usually it is sufficient to just remove the /etc/rc2.d/SxxPACKAGE script,
that will stop the boot scripts from starting it in the (default)
runlevel 2.

>P.S. Please CC: me as I am not currently subscribed
>to debian-user

Hmm, posting to a mailinglist without actually being subscribed
to it and asking to be mailed back in private is usually considered
to be a bit rude ..

Mike.