Re: remote x via ssh question

Please set your linewrap to 72 chars.
What's wrong with your shift key?

on Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 10:21:47AM -0800, Forrest English (forrest@truffula.net) wrote:
> i know i can export it just like i would any other time, but i also
> set X11Forwarding yes, which i belive should forward it automaticaly,
> and here's what i recive when i try and run
>
> [forrest@truffula forrest]$ xterm
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
>
> (this is from my other box, which is a mandrake machine).   it seems
> to be the same thing that happens when i try and run an application
> localy as root while using x as user.    so, i guess i'm wondering how
> i'd fix that too.   are there some permisions that need to be set
> correctly, so that i can run applications as a user other than the
> user that is currently using x?

How are you invoking ssh?  You have to specify -X to forward X11
connections, or specify on a per-host basis in your configuration file.

Does the remote SSH daemon allow X11 forwarding?  Some daemons now deny
this by default.  Both client *and* server must enable X11 forwarding.

Are you invoking ssh from a shell which has an appropriate $DISPLAY
value in the first place?