[SOLVED] : Re: Linux tries to talk to nameserver when accessing localhost (was Re: neighbour table overflow with Woody)
- To: "Eric G . Miller" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: [SOLVED] : Re: Linux tries to talk to nameserver when accessing localhost (was Re: neighbour table overflow with Woody)
- From: Preben Randhol <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 14:51:48 +0100
- Message-id: <20010101145148.A1387@pvv.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Preben Randhol <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "Eric G . Miller" <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20001230162729.A22123@calico.local>; from email@example.com on Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 04:27:29PM -0800
- References: <20001230181219.A20679@pvv.org> <20001230182321.C20679@pvv.org> <20001230215505.B21184@pvv.org> <20001231010932.A21852@pvv.org> <20001230162729.A22123@calico.local>
"Eric G . Miller" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote on 31/12/2000 (01:32) :
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 01:09:32AM +0100, Preben Randhol wrote:
> > Preben Randhol <email@example.com> wrote on 30/12/2000 (21:57) :
> > > Apparently I did something else as well as it stopped working :-(
> > That is when I'm not on the net, the machine still tries to talk to the
> > nameservers I have set up in resolv.conf when I write :
> > netscape http://localhost/
> > and it then hangs for a long time as it cannot connect to the
> > nameservers.
> > If I write netscape http://127.0.0.1/ it works.
> > # cat /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
> > # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > nameserver 184.108.40.206
> > nameserver 220.127.116.11
> > Any hints much appreciated!
> /etc/host.conf ???
> order hosts,bind
> multi on
It turns out that /etc/host.conf with
order hosts bind
NOTICE that there is no comma (or punctuation) between hosts and bind.
Otherwise it won't work.
Preben Randhol ---------------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
+---+ "There was, I think, never any reason to believe in any innate
| ! | superiority of the male, except his superior muscle."
+---+ -- Bertrand Russell, Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind (1950)