Re: Help Me Get Back on List-ISP trouble

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:51:01 +0100
Jonathan Gift <jgift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> --------Log--------
>
> fetchmail: 5.3.3 querying pop.wanadoo.fr (protocol POP3) at Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:40:51 +0100 (CET)
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 server ready (NPlex 2.1.112) <1b3d014.978032460000@sequoia.wanadoo.fr>
> fetchmail: POP3> USER jgift
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK
> fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK
> fetchmail: selecting or re-polling default folder
> fetchmail: POP3> STAT
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK 4 11033
> 4 messages for jgift at pop.wanadoo.fr (11033 octets).
> fetchmail: POP3> LIST
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK 4 messages (11033 octets)
> fetchmail: POP3< 1 1721
> fetchmail: POP3< 2 3340
> fetchmail: POP3< 3 2324
> fetchmail: POP3< 4 3648
> fetchmail: POP3< .
> fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1721 octets
> reading message 1 of 4 (1721 octets)
> About to rewrite Return-Path: <ciccio@prestonet.com.br>
> Rewritten version is Return-Path: <ciccio@prestonet.com.br>
>
> About to rewrite From: Christoph Simon <ciccio@prestonet.com.br>
> Rewritten version is From: Christoph Simon <ciccio@prestonet.com.br>
>
> About to rewrite To: Jonathan Gift <jgift@wanadoo.fr>
> Rewritten version is To: Jonathan Gift <jgift@wanadoo.fr>
>
> About to rewrite Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Rewritten version is Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 220 palatine ESMTP Exim 3.12 #1 Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:41:04 +0100
> fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250-palatine Hello palatine [127.0.0.1]
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP
> fetchmail: forwarding to localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<ciccio@prestonet.com.br> SIZE=1721
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <ciccio@prestonet.com.br> is syntactically correct
> fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<jgift@localhost>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 <jgift@localhost> is syntactically correct
> fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
> fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> fetchmail: not swapping UID lists, no UIDs seen this query
> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> fetchmail: SMTP> QUIT
> fetchmail: terminated with signal 2
> fetchmail: Deleting fetchids file.
>
> -------log-----
>
> Where's the problem and why now and not before the ISP trouble began?

I'm not really an expert in the protocols supported by fetchmail, but
I would say, that your ISP had previously support for the UID
stuff. If I remember right (from the last troubles I had, when I read
the fine manuals), that's something optional, which you can turn on or
off in fetchmail; I think it's used to manage the header lists without
retrieving actually all messages. Try having a deeper look at man
fetchmail; I could bet I read it there. Try to turn that feature off,
maybe it'll work then. But of course, I have bad bio-RAM, so possibly
I'm wrong. Anyway; note that

> fetchmail: not swapping UID lists, no UIDs seen this query
> fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

comes neither from SMTP nor from POP3, so it must come from fetchmail
itself. The following QUIT line is possibly there because SMTP was
executed in background, and happend to terminate then. I would say
that it is unrelated. But the last two lines again seem to be the
consequence of the cited ones.

HTH

--
Christoph Simon