Re: Weird message header?

on Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 11:09:23PM +0100, Peczoli Zoltan (pocok@pcdome.hu) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of my system users periodically receive an Win95.Hybris.Gen.dr
> infected EXE file. I tried to trace down the sender, but unfortunately i'm
> pretty lame interpreting the mail header. It goes like this:

> From: Remote Mail Delivery System <>
> Bcc:
> Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:15:04 +0100
>
> 1. What is the 'Envelope-to' line?

Bullshit.

> 2. What was the route of this mail? It looks that my system relayed the
> given host's outgoing mail. It's impossible, I've told exim not to do so
> (I think :)

If you're 212.108.236.133, then yes, it appears you're relaying.  It's
the "Received:" lines you want to trace.  I'm finding this to be near
s0-mezokovesd.elender.hu.  That you?

There are several spam tracing FAQs, here's one:
http://ddi.digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html

> It's very annoying to get this exe file every month, so if I cannot find
> out who the sender is, it would be great to block these letters. How can I
> do this?

Procmail or specific IP blocks in your MTA.

> Thanx:
>           Pocok
>
> PS. Please forgive me if I'm too off-topic, I think other admins may find
> the replys useful if this virus occurs to them.

You might want to try one of the various mail newsgroups.