Re: Loading SB16 modules...

Michael Steiner wrote:

> You will find my config, below, just change io irq and dma's to your
> needs.
> If it is an ISA card like my one see the isapnp.conf file too.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Steiner, Minorgasse 35, A-1140 Vienna, Austria
>
> in /etc/modutils/sb
>
>    options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
>
> in /etc/modules
>    soundcore
>    sound
>    uart401
>    sb
>
> in /etc/isapnp.conf
>
> ##############
> # VIBRA16
> ##############
>
> (READPORT 0x0273)
> (ISOLATE PRESERVE)
> (IDENTIFY *)
> (VERBOSITY 2)
> (CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING
> # SB 16 and OPL3 devices
> (CONFIGURE CTL0070/-1 (LD 0
> (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
> (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
> (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
> (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
> (IO 1 (SIZE  2) (BASE 0x0330))
> (IO 2 (SIZE  4) (BASE 0x0388))
> (NAME "CTL0070/-1[0]{Audio               }")
> (ACT Y)
> ))
>
> # Joystick device - only if you need it :-/
>
> (CONFIGURE CTL0070/-1 (LD 1
> (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0200))
> (NAME "CTL0070/-1[1]{Game                }")
> (ACT Y)
> ))
> (WAITFORKEY)

Thanks for the info, I edited /etc/modules and /etc/modutils/sb along with
/etc/isapnp.conf and could not get my sound card initialized.

Here's a clip from dmesg:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
sb: Interrupt test on IRQ7 failed - Probable IRQ conflict

At first I thought that my sound card was fighting over my winmodems IRQ, so I
removed the winmodem from my computer. I later received the same error message at
boot time.

Here a clip from cat /proc/interrupts

          CPU0
  0:      39755          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1527          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  7:          2          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:        914          XT-PIC  eth1
 10:       1570          XT-PIC  eth0
 12:      32798          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     108499          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         14          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

As you can see the soundblaster card has attached itself to IRQ 7 (its a PnP
card). This should be no problem since I have mostly PCI hardware (besides the
soundcard) and I'm running PnP BIOS. Is there any way I can auto-detect my sound
card's hardware settings so that I can use those options for the sb module?

Stef